Thursday, December 11, 2014

Physical Body and the After Life

Last night I received another fantastic, mind-blowing massage by Erin of Organic Energetix. And while relishing in the feel of stress and muscle pain relief, my mind formulated this question: If, when we die, we leave behind our bodies and drift around as a soul (in heaven or where ever we end up), do we get to partake in the sensations of massage?

If I am body-less, what compensation is there for massage, a good hair shampooing at the salon, or a sugar scrub from a pedicure? Hand holding? Ear whispering? My cats licking tuna oil from my fingers?
This is a (almost) G-rated blog, so I will just refer to the things we do towards making babies.

As the After Life is always (unless you go to a place that is hot, of which I will not discuss as per my personal beliefs) tooted as being so great, what are they dishing out in replace of the good body stuff?
With out a tongue, can I taste sea salt, chocolate covered caramels, fancy Italian Cabernet, or Uncle Jerry's home made apple pie? With out ears, how do I hear ( I know I'm a classical music loving geek) Vivaldi's Four Seasons, my boys telling me they love me, or my friend Heather laughing with me at that Improv show we went to last week?

And don't get me started about the things I'd miss seeing with no eyeballs. I can spend hours watching palm tree fronds swaying in the wind and seeking out dolphins past the breakers on the beach. How do I feel sunshine on my skin, with out skin?

All of these tough questions have put my old dog into a deep meditative sleep. She'll probably wake with the answers, but have no voice to tell me. And no opposable thumbs to use a pen and write it down.

If she is having that many problems trying to communicate her answers, how do I pursue my love of writing with no brain matter when I die?

So, as the After Life is supposed to be great and all, I want, at the very least, a brochure as to what they offer souls when we leave behind our bodies. Because we are giving up a lot of good stuff here.

If you don't believe in the After Life, I hope you at least appreciated the irony and humor that his blog was making a stab at.

Have a wonderful day appreciating what the world has to offer the physical human body you are in right now,

Heather Leigh
current owner of a 46 year old, healthy body

No comments:

Post a Comment