Saturday, October 3, 2015

Cooking, Writing, and Accounting

Quote from the picture on my kitchen wall: There are things you do because they feel right and they may make no sense and they may make no money and it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other and eat each other's cooking and say it was good.
         ---by Brian Andreas (www.storypeople.com)

And I think to myself, that is so right on. I mean, think of all the stress, wars, dramas, and arguments that we put ourselves through in this life. Is that what we came here for? I know I'll be sounding like John Lennon here (which is an awesome thing to do!)  but think of how spectacular this life would be if the quote was our reality. We could all be doing what brings us the most happiness, sharing it with the rest of the world, and telling each other that their 'thing (cooking)' was good.

Why does it have to be any other way?

For stuff that no one wants to do, like clean the Men's room in public places, we would have to take turns. But really, when you think about it, just about every job there is, somebody out there enjoys doing it.

How many times have I heard people say they hate writing--especially the revising part. Well shiver my timbers if I don't love to write. I'll take that job.

And did you know there are actually people out there who enjoy accounting, working on cars, and reupholstering furniture? Yes, it's true. Those people exist. Well, what if they are stuck writing books for children because it pays the rent. Shouldn't we be able to swap jobs like it's no big deal?

I know there a oodles of teachers out there just waiting for the opportunity to show people how to switch their career.

I think we should form some kind of committee to get this 'eat each other's cooking' philosophy as a working motto for the world. Of course, somebody else will have to run the committee. I hate that kind of stuff. But I would be willing to write about it.

What I'm talking about is a total Utopia Society. But goodness gracious, why not. I mean, whose world is this anyway? When did we let it get so out of control that most of us are spending hours everyday NOT doing what we are blissed about? Is there a person, corporation, political figure out there who we could talk to about changing the world to something we all enjoy? No, I guess not.

I guess the only thing we can do is, well, do it ourselves. Maybe we all have to move in the direction of making our life what we want it to be. Sounds pretty wild, huh?

Perhaps we could take baby steps toward the beginning quote, then let our children take it from there.

Heather Leigh,
Writing my stuff and saying your stuff is good

No comments:

Post a Comment