Friday, January 19, 2018

Know Thyself and Thine Dentist



In the journey to grow into a better person, it is a necessity to know thyself. If you ignore your failings, you will be entangled within their snare. Deeper and deeper you will fall, until all light is blocked. You will, eventually, become...a narcissist. Yikes.

For example: At the dentist office last week, I ripped a big, loud, long fart in the bathroom. Having held it in until I was in what was thought to be a secure place, I felt an inner pride. Turns out, there is no noise reducing insulation inside the walls of the restroom. Noises in the toilet, do not stay in the toilet. Luckily, my tactful son didn't tell me of the staff giggling over my sounds. He waited until we got home. Had I known at the time, I would have ran from the office and never returned. Even if it meant a lifetime of decayed teeth. I learned a lot about my sounds that day, and how I they were perceived by others. Beautiful moment.

Last night I re-learned a personal fact: I'm not cool. This lesson came from family members. Turns out, signatures are expected to be fooled around with. How you cross your T's, dot your I's, loop your O's. Structure, overall appearance, size, letter emphasis, letter interactions and playfulness. All are open to alterations. Leave them for a lifetime of monotony? Blah. This points directly to a dull personality. Might as well wear a neon sign flashing: I am boring. Don't even waste your time getting to know me. 

Mine own signature? I write my name in cursive the way I was taught in elementary school. Could I be less hip? More dull than a sloth in a coma? Epitome of party nerd? Might as well put a bag over my face and turn me out into the street. No one wants to hang with the same-signature writer. 

One last bell of shame to share: I laugh too loud at comedy movies. The gaffling geek with the grossly gargantuan giggles? The one who whoops so loud you miss the popcorn you're attempting to catch in your mouth? The one you want to whap in the head to shut up that mouth? That would be me. How do I know? Because I have been on the spiritual path to know my vices for decades. 

Are you getting the connection between knowing thyself, and body/mind/spirit growth? Did my examples help?

Suggestions to learn your inner clock makings:

Know any teenagers? Ask them in what ways you are a complete mess, and the answers will be full and forthright.

Eat or drink anything that will leave gunk in your teeth, such as blueberries, broccoli or licorice. Then, wait and see if your friends tell you of your socially inappropriate, vulgar mouth. It is through the type of friends that we accumulate that tell of who we are attracting. Good ones will point out your grossness in a kind way. Same goes with toilet paper stuck to your shoe, or leaving blue jean zipper down.

When someone says you look gorgeous, do you poke his eyes because he must not be using them anyway? Or, do you look at him like a creature crawled from beneath a rock and ask if he thought you somehow did not know this? (hint at the correct answer: we are all gorgeous, baby)

Search out ways to know thy self. The signs are ever present. Inner knowledge is the only way to grow. This is coming from the grand guru herself, so you know it must be Truth.

Another way to grow?


Heather Leigh,
Knowledge to the inner core

No comments:

Post a Comment