Thursday, November 1, 2012

Personality

How do I show a character's personality?

The side characters, the one's who are different or odd, seem relatively easy. They follow the role they have taken on--they follow their own way of seeing things, talking, standing, smelling and voting.  If they are funny, they pretty much stay funny. If it is a crazy witch with a heavy cackle and warted nose, her personality is already defined--I just have to write down what she's up to when she makes an appearance.

But the main hero? For the most part, his personality is generally more subtle, like ripples rather than waves.  I don't want to just tell a reader what the hero is like, what is going on in side, I want to let it flow out like a trickle that becomes a stream that becomes a river and eventually flows into an ocean of deep personality.

And he is supposed to evolve at the same time.

How do I do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment